Stuffed Pepper Soup
- 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef* browned
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper chopped, or red bell pepper
- 1 cup onion finely diced
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes canned
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. marjoram
- salt pepper
- 1 large (gallon) freezer bag or reusable silicone bag
For the day of cooking:
- 2 cups beef broth*
- 2 cups rice uncooked
- Chop the peppers and onion.
- Brown the beef in a large skillet on the stove. Drain the fat afterwards. This step is important.
- Place the cooked beef in a large resealable bag.
- Add the diced peppers and onion, garlic, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasonings.
- Remove the air from the bag and seal. Freeze.
Stovetop cooking instructions:
- Place the contents in a large pot on the stovetop.
- Add the broth.
- Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Add the rice in the last 20 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom.
Instant Pot instructions:
- Thaw the bag contents and add them to the Instant Pot.
- Cook the rice separately on the stovetop and set aside.
- Add the broth.
- Cover and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Do a natural release.
- Add the rice either to the entire soup or a bit into each bowl when serving.
Slow Cooker instructions:
- Dump the bag contents into the crockpot®.
- Add the broth and rice.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
An important tip: use extra lean ground beef for this soup. If you choose to use regular ground beef, be sure to drain the fat before adding it otherwise, it will have a greasy look to it and not be visually appealing. It will also not taste as good, so this is an important note for making this recipe. *chicken broth can be substituted for a lighter taste.
Calories: 395kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 783mg | Potassium: 1013mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 978IU | Vitamin C: 52mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 5mg