Skillet Southern Cornbread
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup butter melted
- 2 eggs
- ¼ to ½ cup vegetable or olive oil
- 1 large (gallon) freezer bag or reusable silicone bag
- Preheat oven to 400°. Pour the oil into an 8-inch cast-iron skillet and place it in the oven to heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs until well blended.
- Stir together the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. The mixture will be somewhat thick.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and add the batter to the skillet.
- Immediately return the skillet to the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven.
- Cover the skillet with a plate and flip the cornbread onto the plate. Cut into wedges.
- Serve warm or allow to cool and wrap in plastic wrap before placing in a freezer bag and freezing until needed.
Calories: 532kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 10g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 93mg | Sodium: 312mg | Potassium: 334mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 292IU | Calcium: 140mg | Iron: 3mg