Pork or Chicken Shawarma
- 4-6 chicken breasts boneless, skinless, sliced, can substitute pork
- 2 Tbsp. shawarma seasoning recipe below
- 1 large (gallon) freezer bag or reusable silicone bag
For cooking day:
- 2 Tbsp. oil for the cooking day
- 1/2 cup chicken broth* for the cooking day
- Pitas for serving
- Parsley optional (for garnish)
- Dill Pickles optional
- Hummus optional
- Tzatziki or yogurt optional
Homemade Shawarma Seasoning:
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. allspice
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 Tbsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 Tbsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 Tbsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- Pat the chicken or pork dry and cut into 1/2 thick strips. Place all the cut meat into a medium or large resealable freezer bag.
- Combine all shawarma seasonings together in a bowl. Add 2 Tablespoons of the mix to the bag and toss until the meat is completely coated in seasoning.
- Remove the excess air, seal, and freeze. Place the rest of the seasoning in a medium-sized resealable freezer bag and store it in the freezer to maintain its freshness.
Instant Pot Cooking Instructions:
- On the day of cooking, take the bag of shawarma out of the freezer to thaw.
- Place the 2 Tbsp. of oil in the Instant Pot and select the Sauté setting. Place the chicken or pork in the Instant Pot to sear for about 2 minutes.
- Turn off the sauté setting and add your broth or water.
- Select the meat setting for 10 minutes. You can use the natural or quick release.
Serving instructions: spread a layer of hummus on a pita, add some of the cooked meat, top with some dill pickle slices tabbouleh, and sprinkle with a bit of parsley. We also like to add yogurt or tzatziki. Roll the pita and get to the eating! *can substitute vegetable broth or water for chicken broth
Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 551mg | Potassium: 632mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 451IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 157mg | Iron: 4mg