Italian Wedding Soup
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage formed into meatballs and cooked
- 1 carrots chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup small pasta like alphabet or orzo
- 1 large (gallon) freezer bag or reusable silicone bag
- 1 medium (quart) freezer bag
day of cooking:
- 2 cups spinach sliced or chopped
- Place the cooked sausage meatballs, chopped carrot, seasonings, and chicken broth in a large resealable bag. Remove excess air and seal.
- Put 1 cup of small pasta in a medium-sized resealable bag and staple the bags together. Freeze.
- Thaw. Remove the staples and set aside the bag of pasta. In a large pot, heat just the soup on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add in the pasta and spinach and continue cooking for another 5 - 10 minutes until the pasta is fully cooked.
- Ladle soup into bowls. If desired, you can sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese before serving.
The fastest way to make the sausage meatballs in bulk if you're using them for several recipes is to form the balls and place them on a cookie sheet then bake in the oven. If you're only making one recipe, you can instead fry them in a skillet. You can use regular Italian sausage or the spicy variety depending on what your family's spice tolerance and preferences are.
Calories: 369kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 1143mg | Potassium: 463mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 2674IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 2mg