Chicken Pot Pie Filling
- 3 chicken breasts boneless and skinless, cooked and cubed
- 10 mushrooms sliced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 3/4 cup peas frozen
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground sage
- 1/4 tsp. marjoram
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- 1 large (gallon) freezer bag or reusable silicone bag
On the day of cooking:
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package Pillsbury Country Biscuits
- Cook and cube chicken. Allow it to cool.
- Chop onion and red pepper and slice the mushrooms.
- Add the chicken, onions, red peppers, mushrooms, and peas to a large resealable plastic bag. Add in the seasonings and give it a quick shake. Remove the excess air from the bag and seal before freezing.
- Take the filling out of the freezer to thaw. Dump the bag contents into a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the butter and flour and stir. When well mixed in, slowly pour in the milk.
- Heat for another 3-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Transfer the chicken pot pie filling to an oven-safe casserole dish.
- Top with the country biscuits.*
- Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes and the biscuits are golden brown.
*I like to split the biscuits in half lengthwise so they are thinner and less doughy. I like more of a crispy texture, but if you prefer more of a dumpling texture, leave the biscuits whole when placing them on top.
Calories: 419kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 851mg | Potassium: 838mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 920IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 109mg | Iron: 3mg