- 1 chicken carcass minimum 6 bones, picked somewhat clean
- 1 carrots chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 onion quartered*
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaf
- 8 cups water
- 2-4 medium (quart) freezer bags or reusable silicone bags
- Chop up the carrot, celery, and onions and place them in the Instant Pot.
- If desired, you can sauté the veggies for a few minutes with a bit of oil using the Sauté setting on your Instant Pot. This will result in a more flavourful broth, but it will be darker in colour.
- If you want your broth to be seasoned, apply the seasoning first to the chicken bones.
- Add the bones and bay leaves to your Instant Pot and then fill about 3/4 of the way full with water.
- Secure the lid.
- Select the Soup/Stew setting and increase the time to 45 minutes.
- Do a natural release.
- Carefully pour the broth through a strainer to remove the vegetables and bones. Any remaining meat can be removed from the bones and can then be used in soup. The veggies will be perfectly cooked and can also be used in soup or a stew or as a side dish.
- Once cool, using a measuring cup, pour the broth into medium sized freezer bags, remove the excess air, and freeze. These can then be used as a soup base or in a recipe that calls for broth.
*Since you will be running the broth through a strainer later, there is no need to peel the onions. Pro tip: Be sure to mark on each bag how many cups of broth it contains. This will make it easier to know how many bags to take out when needed. You will have about 8 cups of broth total.
Calories: 19kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 25mg | Potassium: 88mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1704IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg