Roasted Carrot Soup
- 2 lbs. carrots peeled and chopped* see more in assembly instructions
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil divided
- 1 tsp. sea salt divided
- 1 onion diced
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp. coriander
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 large (gallon) freezer bag or reusable silicone bag
For day of cooking:
- 2 cups water for day of cooking
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice for day of cooking
- pepper to taste, for day of cooking
- Peel and cut carrots on the diagonal, into 1/2 inch thick and 3 inch long pieces.
- Placed carrots on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil and 1/2 tsp. of salt. Toss until the carrots are lightly coated in oil and salt. Arrange them in a single layer.
- Roast in a 400° oven for 25-40 minutes or until they are easily pierced with a fork, tossing halfway through. Add the onion, 1 Tbsp. olive oil and the other 1/2 tsp. salt to the baking sheet for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- When the carrots and onions have cooled somewhat, place the carrots, onions, garlic, seasonings, and 4 cups of vegetable broth or water in a large resealable bag. Remove excess air and seal. Freeze.
- Thaw. Pour bag contents into a large pot. Add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and allow to cool a bit. Blend with an immersion blender until well blended. Add lemon juice and pepper. Serve.
Calories: 212kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 1686mg | Potassium: 776mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 38392IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 1mg